Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My Man, Mitt: The Florida Republican Primary, 2008

I haven't been watching the polls terribly closely during the run up to today's primary. Part of the reason is that I simply am not as interested in the Republican race as I am in the Democratic campaign, but an even more important reason is that the polls and media claptrap leading up to these events bear little relation to the outcome. In other words, if you are looking to get a bead on who will win the race, polls and pundits are about as helpful as the color commenters for Monday Night Football.

All of this by way of saying that I'm not going to analyze any polls or chart the babble from newspapers or television but rather that I am going to take this opportunity to express my heartfelt desire that Mitt Romney grabs Florida by the throat tonight. I hope he wins because I would like to see the Republicans in dissaray and spending $ for as long as possible, and because I would prefer that Mitt be the GOP's nominee. Romney may have deep pockets and a certain kind of appeal to would-be morticians, but beyond that his politics and personal characteristics virtually assure that the Democrat nominee--whoever it is--will be the next President of this country. That ought to be the case with McCain as well but he has shown an ability to appeal to some independent voters and even some Democrats. Heck, he may even believe in evolution.

Florida is a closed primary where only registered Republicans may vote, something which could favor Romney tonight. On the other hand, the open primary in Michigan, which Romney won, may have tipped it to Plastoman because it permitted Democrats to vote for him for the same reasons I suggest--they see him as singularly trounceable.

While I will be chanting "Go Mitt go," from my La-Z-Boy for reasons no more profound than these, there should be some interesting fallout from the Florida primary. Huckebee/Hucklebee and Guiliani will likely be asking when it is over how it could have all gone to shit so fast and considering when to announce an end to their candidacies, and McCain, if he wins, will have good reason to claim that he should be the Republicans' nominee.

If Mitt wins, though, the Republicans can continue to beat up on one another, Romney can continue to inspire undertakers everywhere, and there will be joy in (Democratic) Mudville.

No comments: